Monday 7 January 2013

Some of my recent baking

Wondering why I haven't updated since the New Year's Resolutions post?
Sadly my work hours have been all over the place the last week and shall be this week too, but next week they settle down and everything here should return to normal(ish). 

I have been baking though, today I made soda bread. Not entirely sure how it's turned out though, I accidently made it with strong white bread flour rather than plain flour! oops It has risen and it looks like the picture in the book, but I have no idea if it tastes OK. Guess I'll find out tomorrow, at which point I shall update you guys with the results of that particular mishap!

Edited to Add: Well I've tried the soda bread, and it's actually very nice! It tastes best when eaten as is with some butter/spread, as when toasted it developes a rather heavy texture. Apparently this is normal with soda bread, I'm not sure as it's years since I've eaten the stuff! So all in all this experiment hasn't gone too badly but I think it shall be improved by using the right flour next time! No pictures as it all got eaten!

I also made this
I made this a couple of days ago but I've had to wait to post it as it's my granddad's birthday cake and I have no idea if my grandparents ever look at this place! (I had to keep it off Facebook because they do use that and may have seen it.)

This is a chocolate cola cake which I have covered with green sugarpaste, and then appliqued the elephant and it's blanket using more sugarpaste. The red stripe has been covered with red sugar (secured with royal icing) and the blue areas have been decorated with star shaped sprinkles (makes a change from snowflakes!) The elephant's toe nails and tusk were made of white sugarpaste and the eye is an edible silver pearl. 

All in all I'm really proud of this cake, as while I've done modelling with sugarpaste before this is the first time I've ever covered a cake in the stuff. I think it's turned out rather well, I managed to roll it to an even thickness and it was big enough for the cake! I even coloured white icing green and grey myself (the blue/red were pre-coloured). The cake is on a plate because I completely forgot to go buy a proper cakeboard, oops. My only issue with this cake is that I should have rolled the icing a little thinner when I cut out the ear shape, as because it was a little thick the edges didn't curl properly when I ran my ball tool over the edge. But annoyingly the icing kept sticking to the worktop so I couldn't roll it any thinner easily, next time I'll dig out my mum's icing rolling pin (it's much smaller) and non-stick board.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...