Friday 13 July 2012

Friday Review: Snip & Swirl Icing Bags

As I have so many books, choosing which one to review first is taking a while! So while I decide where to start here is a quick review of a product I recently tried.  Today’s review is for the Snip & Swirl, pre-filled piping bags available from Lakeland. I’ll be talking about the vanilla flavoured one.
This product is quite simply, a piping bag that comes pre-filled with frosting in vanilla, strawberry or chocolate flavour. All you do is snip of the end and pipe onto your cakes like you would a normal piping bag.
Peach cupcakes frosting using the Snip & Swirl Bags.
These were made for the Queen's Jubilee hence the crowns!
So what do I like about it?
Well it’s easy to use, I’m not very good at piping yet but I managed to get very stylish looking cakes using this. You can also control what look you create, the bag has guidelines for cutting along which allow you to recreate the effect of a star shaped or round nozzle. It’s also incredibly easy to alter the size of the “nozzle”, simply by cutting lower or higher on the bag. And most importantly the frosting is very tasty! It’s sweet but not overly so; it also has a nice smooth texture. The fact that these bags are produced by Renshaw probably is the reason why the frosting is such high quality.

What don’t I like about it?
I find it very hard to find a fault with these; they are easy to use even for a complete beginner, taste nice and produce a nice effect. My only fault is that the frosting is not particularly sticky. By that I mean it’s very hard to add further decorations to a cake that has been frosted using them. I wanted to put some sprinkles on the cakes I used them for, and the traditional sprinkle application technique (also known as throwing sprinkles in the general direction of the cake) simply didn’t work! The sprinkles just fell off the cake; I had to physically poke the sprinkles into the frosting to get them to stay!
So overall rating? 4/5
The icing is yummy and the bags are easy to use, but I find the fact that sprinkles don’t stick to be very frustrating as that’s how I normally decorate cupcakes! But would I buy them again? Yep, in fact I already have. Shortly after using them for the first time I purchased another vanilla bag and a strawberry one, I think I shall always have at least one lurking in the cupboard because of how tasty and useful they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...