Friday 28 September 2012

Friday Review: Buckingham Palace, Garden Cafe

My life has been a little hectic recently, which means I haven’t had time to write any book reviews so I’ve decided to post something a little different a review of the cakes I had during my visit to Buckingham Palace last week!
Every summer Buckingham Palace is opened allowing members of the public a chance to see the beautiful State Rooms and a special exhibition. This year the exhibition featured a selection of diamond jewellery and other diamond items from the Royal Collection as part of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations. Given my passion for shiny things and nice jewellery I had to go visit, but this post is not about the Palace it’s about cake so moving on. At the end of the tour, palace visitors are able to get refreshments in The Garden Cafe which is as suggested by the name, in the Palace garden.
Now I had skipped lunch that day, mostly so I had an excuse to buy more than one cake! And these are the cakes I brought.

On the left is a vanilla cheesecake and on the right is a fraisier, both of which were made especially for the Jubilee, hence the crowns on both. Those were made of a lovely dark chocolate.  These cakes were both really yummy, the cheesecake was so creamy with the strawberry sauce balancing out the flavors and stopping it becoming too sickly which can be a problem with cheesecakes. The fraisier was topped with marzipan and filled with some really nice strawberries and cream. Yummy!
Both cakes were also presented beautifully, and the fraisier actually came wrapped in a sheet of plastic to protect it. A nice touch! And the service was amazing, very quick and efficient (which is not surprising considering the amount of visitors they get each day!) and all the staff were extremely polite.  
To be honest the only thing I didn’t like was the price! Each cake cost me £4.75! But for cakes of this quality and when I take into account where I was buying them the price isn’t actually that bad. So in summary, if I ever visit the Palace again I am defiantly buying cake and if any of you ever visit I would seriously recommend the cakes. The cafe also sells sandwiches but they didn’t have any I liked (I’m quite picky about my sandwiches).
Also I am totally going to try and make my own fraisier, but that will probably have to wait until next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...