Saturday 30 March 2013

Quick and Easy Easter Bakes


This edition of “Quick and Easy” is a little different as in the UK at least we have a couple of traditional Easter bakes which I’ve decided to feature here.

Recipe Ideas
Let’s deal with the traditional bakes first.
One of the most important parts of Easter in the UK are Hot Cross Buns. These are gently spiced buns filled with currents and topped with a cross. These buns are steeped in superstition and are believed to bring luck and cement friendships, and most importantly they are really tasty!

Traditionally they are full of currents but shops are now full of interesting twists on the classic which include additions such as chocolate. So why not try making classic hot cross buns or some modern twists? Me and my mum love apple and cinnamon buns, here is Paul Hollywood’s recipe. I made these the other day and they taste delicious!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/hot_cross_buns_74750

Secondly we have Simnel Cake; this is another deeply traditional Easter bake in the UK. This is a rich fruit cake topped with a sheet of marzipan and 11 marzipan balls. These balls represent the 11 apostles of Christ minus Judas. As an extra there is also a layer of marzipan hidden inside the cake. I’ve never eaten Simnel Cake as I don’t like fruit cake but my mum says it is really yummy, I’m planning to make one next year.
Fancy having a go yourself? Here is a really easy recipe from baking queen Mary Berry
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/easter_simnel_cake_82449

Want something a little less traditional and more family friendly? Well I think you can’t go wrong with chocolate cupcakes. Or how about making mini Simnel Cakes? Or for a great recipe that children can try, how about chocolate nests? Made in exactly the same way as chocolate cornflake cakes, just swap the cornflakes for all bran cereal and add a few chocolate eggs.

The shops are also full of cute biscuit cutters, so why not pick up a set and make some lovely iced biscuits. Good shapes are chicks, rabbits and eggs, which naturally can be iced to look just like Easter Eggs.

Simple Decorative Touches and Themed Cakes
Easter is a pretty easy theme to attribute to a cake, so I’ve combined these two sections into one.
Obviously the easiest thing to do is to just throw sprinkles at a cake, so how about finding some adorable little rabbit or egg shaped sprinkles? Or top cakes with chocolate eggs and little fluffy chicks. Some of my cake books have brilliant instructions for cakes that have been iced to look like Easter Eggs and rabbits. One day I’ll get round to trying those out!

So there we go, a quick post on some easy Easter bakes. I’m sorry this post is so late and kind of short when compared to other Quick and Easy posts but as I said yesterday Easter just crept up on me this year. I think this is because this is the first time in years that I haven’t had to stress about exams and essay deadlines at this time of year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...