Monday 3 June 2013

Monday Recipe: Strawberry and Marshmallow Pop Tarts

So this recipe is actually something I made during my recent hiatus, I’ve only now got round to actually writing it down and posting it! To be honest these are so easy to make I’m not sure why it has taken me so long to post this.

Pop Tarts have to be one of my favourite snack foods, even if my indecisive nature means I can’t decide what my favourite flavour is. So imagine my excitement when I found an episode of Nerdy Nummies in which Ro made Nyan Cat Pop Tarts! Now I’m not a fan of Nyan Cat but I was extremely happy to see just how easy Pop Tarts are to make. So here is my attempt at making Pop Tarts!


In the video Ro used a packet mix for the pastry but I prefer to make my own pastry. This quantity of pastry made about 3 tarts (I only made a small batch as this was an experiment) but this is obviously dependent on how big you make them. If you want more just double up the quantities. Mine are strawberry and marshmallow flavour, but please change the filling to whatever you want.

Ingredients
225g/8oz plain flour
110g/4oz butter or margarine, cubed
cold water to mix (as cold as possible)
1 tbsp icing sugar
pinch of salt

Filling of your choice, I used Original Marshmallow Fluff spread and strawberry jam.

Method
In a large bow sieve together the flour, sugar and salt, then add the cubed butter. Using your fingertips rub the butter into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs. Then add the water 1 tbsp at a time, mixing with your hands, to bring the mixture into a dough, there is no exact measurement amount of water you need, every batch of pastry is different. So just add the water a little at a time until the dough is ready, it is ready when it just clings together. The dough shouldn’t be sticky but should come cleanly off the sides of the bowl as you gather it together. Wrap the dough in cling film or place in a sandwich bag and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to Gas 4/180 C.
Then remove the dough from the fridge and leave it for a couple of minutes to warm up, dust the work surface with flour and roll it out, you want the dough to be about 0.5 cm thick. Once it is rolled cut out 6 rectangles all the same size.

Carefully spread the jam and Marshmallow fluff (or your filling) onto 3 rectangles making sure to leave a gap of about 1 cm around the edge. Brush the edge with a little water and place one of the untopped rectangles on top. Use a fork to press the edges together and poke a few holes in the top of each tart. Place on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before eating.


These tasted delicious when cold, I left them un-iced so that in theory they could be reheated in the toaster but they er didn’t last than long...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...