Friday 27 July 2012

Friday Review: Professional Piping Set

A piping bag and a set of nozzles are essential items to have when decorating cupcakes, especially if you want to achieve those lovely piped swirls of frosting that professional cakes have. This is the set I have, yet again it is a Lakeland product. I promise I do buy things from other shops, it just happens that my favourite things come from Lakeland!
So what do I like about it?
Well for starters you get a nice selection of nozzle shapes, there are 4 star shapes, a shell and 2 round ones (a large and a small one). The nozzles are also really good, they are stainless steel and extremely well made. These are going to last for a long time; the nozzles also don’t require the use of a coupler which is good for me as I don’t like using couplers that much.  These nozzles produce excellent results; even with a beginner like me using them the icing is always well defined.

These were iced with premade frosting.
As you can see the nozzles produce well defined lines,
 but like with buttercream I ended up with a greasy bag.

And what don’t I like?
The bag. The reusable, nylon piping bag really is awful and lets down the entire set really. The nozzles fit it really well but the bag is simply useless. If you use it to try and pipe butter cream which I often do, the bag gets extremely greasy making it quite tricky to use as it gets slippery quickly. And your hands also get covered in grease which can be rather annoying if you want to keep your sprinkles clean! The bag also struggled with whipped cream; in fact the only icing I have found that the bag agrees with is cream cheese frosting. I would seriously suggest that if you buy this set to invest in some disposable silicone piping bags instead of using this one!

And with cream cheese frosting.
Again well defined lines but no greasy bag!
Coincidentally, Lakeland happens to sell some silicone bags. I haven’t used them myself but they are very well reviewed on Lakeland: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/10666/Get-a-Grip-Piping-Bags

So how do I rate it?
Well, the nozzles get 5/5 stars, they are well made and produce good professional looking results. The piping bag on the other hand gets 1/5, it is very unpleasant to use and honestly is not worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...