Monday 24 September 2012

Monday Recipe: Lavender Cupcakes

Monday Recipe: Lavender Cupcakes
As much as I love making fruit flavoured cupcakes there comes a time when all my favourite fruits are out of season and I have to stop. But that just means it’s time for some new flavours, and my current experimentation is with flower flavoured cakes!
I love using flower flavours, they are sufficiently different to intrigue people but not weird enough to freak them out! Rose is actually my all time favourite macaroon flavour, mostly because I love the smell of roses and when used in cooking it actually tastes the way it smells. Which I know sounds mad but try it and you’ll see what I mean! I know eating flowers is weird, but quite a lot of flowers are actually edible. At some point I will do some more research into this and post a list of edible flowers, but that shall have to wait.
So imagine my excitement when last summer I found Lavender Sugar available in Waitrose, naturally I had to buy some and I’ve finally figured out what to do with it! Hello cupcakes! These cakes smell divine and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that lavender (like rose) tastes the way it smells.

As this is an experimental recipe, all quantities are designed for use in a cupcake maker and will make 6 fairy sized cakes. However as always this recipe can easily be scaled up and (should) work when baked in the oven.
Sadly I can't find lavender sugar on Waitrose's online shopping, but this would be easy to make yourself. I'll write a tutorial on that later!
The little "spots" are actually lavender flowers!
Ingredients
1 large egg
50g/2oz Self-rising flour, sifted
50g/2oz Lavender Sugar
50g/2oz Softened butter or margarine
Method:
Cream together the butter and sugar then beat in the egg.  Fold in the flour and divide between 6 cake cases and then bake in the cupcake maker for approximately 10 minutes or in the oven at Gas 4/180 C for about 15 minutes. The cakes are ready when a skewer inserted into the thickest part of the cake comes out clean!
Leave on a wire rack to cool.
The lavender in this recipe is quite a strong flavour, so I’m working on adapting this recipe somewhat. Personally I like the strong flavour but my family weren’t so keen, when I perfect this recipe I shall re-post with the new version. And given that this recipe is still in the experimental stages I have no idea what icing to suggest for these. That is something I shall figure out during further experiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...