Tuesday 12 February 2013

Recipe: Pancakes

Just a quick post today since I haven't quite finished the other Valentines posts yet and this post is seasonal anyway.
Today is Shrove Tuesday and in the UK at least that means one thing... pancakes! Shrove Tuesday in the UK is also known as Pancake Day; basically we start Lent by eating as much sugar as possible.

Pancakes are so simple to make and yet I know an awful lot of people who use packet mixes. Those things baffle me, loads of them tell you to add an egg or milk which means you’ve spend a couple of pounds on a bag of flour! That makes no sense to me at all (and don’t get me started on the ones that just involve adding water, they taste disgusting.)Well as a protest against packet mixes I’m sharing this recipe! This is the pancake recipe my mum always uses and in my opinion it makes the best pancakes.

Ingredients
100g/4oz plain flour
2 eggs
250ml/half pint of milk
pinch salt
1 tsp caster sugar (optional for sweet pancakes)

Method
Sift all dry ingredients into a bowl, then make a well in the centre of the flour. Add the eggs and a splash of milk. Beat until the flour is all incorporated, then keep beating while gradually adding the rest of the milk. You should end up with a smooth batter with bubbles of the surface, leave to rest for a while before cooking. You may need to stir the batter gently before cooking.

My favourite pancake topping has to be maple syrup but you can’t beat the classic combination of lemon and sugar. What’s your favourite topping?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...