Friday 22 February 2013

Snapshots: The Cake is a Lie

And that’s about as far as my knowledge of Portal goes... I really must have a go at playing it sometime but first I need to finish Lego Lord of the Rings and try some other games. My attempts at playing Bioshock are going to be hilarious but you aren’t here to hear me talk about games so on to the actual subject of this post.

Last Sunday was my baby brother’s 21st birthday, and since I’m an amazing and fantastic sister I kindly made him a birthday cake. And here it is, the Weighted Companion Cube!

You have no idea how awkward it was get the cake into my photography setup.
It was extremely heavy which made moving it tricky!
This cake is constructed out of four, 8 inch square Madeira cakes which have been sandwiched together with cream cheese frosting.  The whole thing was then covered in sugarpaste (which I coloured myself) and then all the decorations were appliquéd onto the surface. They were also made of sugarpaste and glued on with royal icing. Each piece was cut out by hand with a scalpel (well apart from the circles/hearts, obviously I used a cutter for those) and all I can say is thank the lord that icing is not like pastry so it doesn’t matter how many times you re-roll it!

Me and my mum are united in our hatred of people who just shove candles into cakes without a thought for the amount of effort that has gone into them or the overall design, so I baked a cupcake to hold the candle. This cupcake is a Peanut Butter Cup Cupcake V1 (recipe coming soon) which has been topped with some leftover frosting and a blue sugarpaste portal. Where is the orange portal? Well that’s a trade secret ;)

I learnt a lot making this cake, not only did I learn that sugarcraft will always take longer than you think it will; I also learnt some new techniques.  I learnt how to cover a square cake in sugarpaste (much harder than a circle cake, especially one this size!) and I learnt how to level cakes (a spirit level is your best friend). All in all I’m pretty darn proud of this cake, it was truly a labour of love but I think it was worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...